Friday, January 7, 2011

Puritan Glasses

Yesterday, I stumbled upon Thomas Goodwin (1600-1680 A.D.), the Puritan who served as Oliver Cromwell's chaplain.  His writings are filled with an ocean of ponderous sermons with regard to the state and maintenance of the soul.

Here is my favorite so far:  "The indwelling of Christ by faith… is to have Jesus Christ continually in one’s eye, a habitual sight of Him. I call it so because a man actually does not always think of Christ; but as a man does not look up to the sun continually, yet he sees the light of it… So you should carry along and bear along in your eye the sight and knowledge of Christ, so that at least a presence of Him accompanies you, which faith makes.”


Having just finished a discussion on Oscar Wilde's, "The Importance of Being Earnest", which is actually a farce on love and verity, I wondered how Goodwin would review this piece; or would he even take the time to read it?  More and more I am drawn to the self-sacrifice and singular focus of Puritan believers.  Their time, energy, and resources were poured out to the saving work of the Gospel.  I feel challenged and inspired to take stock of my own time, my own energy, and my own resources and soldier forth anew while paring down excess.  

No comments:

Post a Comment