Tuesday, January 11, 2011

30 Shekels

      As I labor through Leviticus, reading details on menstruation, mildew, and construction, I am struck, once again, by my lack of understanding.  How does re-plastering a mildewed wall become a two-edged sword, penetrating soul and spirit?  Leviticus leaves me pondering the vast and mysterious nature of my health-conscious God who dismisses the death of a slave with 30 shekels. (Exodus 21:32).

     I can't reconcile this in human terms.  He is extraordinary to me, but not safe.  Clinically speaking, the health, housekeeping, and food regulations enabled Israel to thrive while pagan cultures imploded, mainly due to violence and pestilence.

     For Yahweh, 30 shekels resolved the death of male or female slave gored to death by an domestic animal.  Slavery must have been the pits back then, to have one's life count for so little.  But Judas bargained to betray Christ for 30 coins.   “How much will you pay me to betray Jesus to you?” And they gave him thirty pieces of silver. Matthew 26:15.


  There is something to this God - you who are intentional about health and household practices, must also be speaking of more about slaves, shekels, and me.... This mystery, I pray, you would unfurl as a banner of understanding that speaks love, truth, and reconciliation to my heart.  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment